Thanks for the help

Colin Peters colin@bird.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp
Fri Jun 13 18:01:00 GMT 1997

jfmiller[SMTP:jfmiler@polymail.cpunix.calpoly.edu] wrote:
>by unamious concent I did indeed chechout and ust the minimulist win32
>page.  while the documentation could use a little calirifaction the
>package worked great.  BTW Colin Peters and Cygnus have made it on to my
>list of people to send money to if I ever become rich (don't hold your
>breath, it's not likely to happen any time soon)

Promises of cash rewards! I knew there was a reason I did this stuff :)

Seriously, I'm glad it's useful to you (and I agree with you about
the documentation... sigh).

>> 3) I'm am new to windows programming. (I'm sure that this fact is
>> blatintly clear by now)  Are there any books (or even better internet
>> sourses) that would explain at least some of the basics?  Most of the
>> books I have found are writen assuming one has either MSVC or BC.  will
>> any of these work?
>
>_Programming_Windows_95_ By Charles Petzold pub. Micro$oft Press.  This
>book was recomended both here and by some profs here at CalPoly.  It's a
>great boog and works well with gnu-win32.

It looks like you may have already spent the money (and it is a
worthwhile investment IMHO), but in case you haven't I would like
to recommend the "Programmers Bookshelf for Windows 95" CD ROM
from Microsoft Press. It includes both Petzold and "Advanced Windows"
which I am constantly referring to whenever I program. It also includes
three other books which I don't use so much, but since the cost of
the CD was less than the cost of the first two books put together
I don't mind.

I've slowly been putting together example programs with Mingw32 in C++
and a very basic class library to support them. Basically I hope to
replicate most, if not all, of the example programs in Petzold
(sometimes with slight differences in functionality). I'll be posting
a preliminary version of some of these samples to my web pages some
time in the near future. Hopefully some of the first-time Win32
programmers who are using Mingw32 and/or GNU-Win32 will find them
informative, or at least entertaining.

Anyway, good luck,
Colin.

-- Colin Peters - colin@bird.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp
-- Saga University Dept. of Information Science
-- http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/index.html
-- http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Towers/6162/

-