Cygnus Cygwin32 Press Release 1/21/97

Jayasooriah jayas@water.cse.unsw.edu.au
Thu Feb 13 01:58:00 GMT 1997

At 04:19 12/02/97 -0800, Jim Balter wrote:
>I just spent half a day rewriting times.cc in winsup and fixing at
>least 6 bugs.
>I am seriously
>considering developing my own POSIX emulation library ...

I agree with Jim more on both counts.  I have started doing what Jim is
thinking off not for POSIX but ... that is for a completely different
purpose and better not elaborated upon here.

When I first looked at the port in December, I fixed the times.cc bug.  I
posted to this group, but the mail never made it.  Then I posted it to
cygnus and didnt get any reply either.

For interest, here is my copy of first posting that failed to appear after
three attempts.  I have progressed since then, but at this stage, I am not
ready to make any annoucnements.

If there is sufficient interest, I will, at a later date make my stuff
available -- terms etc yet to be resolved as I am not as conversant as the
pundits here on GPL and LGPL.

One way I know how many make their money	1) make a limited edition for
freely available, 2) get assistance for the community at large to improve
it under names like 'beta-testers' or 'public-domain'; 3) wait till enough
users are hooked on it; 4) then charge heaps for your full functional
version that you developed in parallel!

No one can then prove that the full functional version is a derivative of
the free version already in public domain :)

Cheers

> [...]
>        New: 07/12/96 10:36 200 bytes
>
>2.  Extract cdksrc.tar.gz to /usr/local/src/win32-b17.1 and answer NO to:
>
>        Replace: include/g++/Complex.h?
>        Old: 07/12/96 10:32 147 bytes
>        New: 07/12/96 10:36 200 bytes
>
>* These will not cause any serious problems -- I am listing them just for
>completeness.
>
>3.  Obtain and extract grep-2.0.tar.gz ( ftp://prep.ai.mit.edu/pub/gnu )
>to /usr/local/src, and build grep (which has not been packaged in b17.1
>distribution, and which is required to build gcc).  All you have to do:
>
>        cd /usr/local/gcc-2.0
>        ./configure
>        make
>        /usr/local/H-i386-cygwin32/bin/install -c \
>                grep.exe /usr/local/bin/grep.exe
>        rm -f /usr/local/bin/egrep.exe
>        ln /usr/local/bin/grep.exe /usr/local/bin/egrep.exe
>        rm -f /usr/local/bin/fgrep.exe
>        ln /usr/local/bin/grep.exe /usr/local/bin/fgrep.exe
>        /usr/local/H-i386-cygwin32/bin/install -c -m 644 \
>                ./grep.man /usr/local/man/man1/grep.1
>
>    **** NOTE: I am installing in standard path, not cygnus path.
>
>4.  Create glue.h in modify times.cc (to fix utimes() bug) and build:
>
>        cd /usr/local/source/win32-b17.1
>        echo >newlib/libc/stdio/glue.h
>        [ edit winsup/times.cc ]
>        [ append "LL" to "#define NSPERSEC 10000000" at line 25 ]
>        [ delete line "return 0" (line 438) - end of utimes() ]
>        ./configure
>        make
>
>    **** NOTE: Makefile needs glue.h, but an empty glue.h is sufficient.
>
>5.  Get out of bash (so that cygwin.dll is not busy and update new dll):
>
>        cp winsup/new-cygwin.dll /usr/local/H-i386-cygwin32/bin/cygwin.dll
>
>You now have a working build of gcc for i386-pc-cygwin32.  Now, 'cp -p'
>will work as expected (it did not because of a bug in utimes() in
cygwin.dll).

>The 'touch -f' still does not work because someone had thought fit to
>ignore the '-f' flag despite parsing and accepting it.
>
>Questions:
>
>a:  Does anyone know where else in the distribution should one look for
>work arounds for the utimes() bug (now that I got utimes() and related
> routines to do the right thing)?
>
>b:  I can get fileutils-3.1.4 to compile but the new 'cp' somehow
>truncates all files it copies (as if the stat/lstat returned the
>wrong size).  Has anyone tried this?
>
>c:  Has anyone done any cross development environment build using
>the cygnus port?   I am about to do a couple of ports (mainly
>mircos/embedded systems) and would like to know of experiences).
>
>I got bison-1.2.5, rcs-5.7 etc to work properly (so it seems for now).
>Is there any indication of what I should and should not work in this
>release as it stands?
>
>Cheers
>
>Jaya
>
>PS Would the people at cygnus make a new release available with
>the utimes() fixed -- the port is really difficult to use (with
 _--_|\   Jayasooriah                 http://water.cse.unsw.edu.au/jayas/
/      \  School of Computer Science and Engineering Tel: +61 2 9385-4021
\_.--._*  The University of New South Wales          Fax: +61 2 9385-5995
      v   Sydney 2052, AUSTRALIA            Mail: Jayasooriah@unsw.edu.au