Minor bug and a question

Jim Balter jqb@netcom.com
Wed Feb 12 09:37:00 GMT 1997

Sergey Okhapkin wrote:

> Jim Balter wrote:
> > > send it on to you.  However, in reference to the original comment, there
> > > are facilities in win32 to support hard links.
> >
> > Ok, but it is still NTFS-specific, and thus cannot be depended upon
> > by gnu-win32.
>
> Why? Winsup code may create hard links on NTFS partitions and make a copy of file (as it works now) on FAT partitions.

The context of ths discussion was a suggestion that foo and foo.exe
be links instead of bash taking foo to mean foo.exe.  That's a
design decision that is affected by the cost of making a link.
You can't assume that links are cheap; that's what I mean by "depend
upon".  I didn't say that you can't implement links as hard links
on NTFS, you just can't DEPEND UPON the result of ln foo bar
creating a hard link rather than a copy.

--
<J Q B>
-