[VGUI] RE: Compiling "V" 1.16 - Specific Instructions?

msphil@widomaker.com msphil@widomaker.com
Tue Dec 30 05:58:00 GMT 1997

"Fernandes, Hilton" <hgfernan@usp.br> wrote:

> On 26 Dec 97 at 12:22,  Brendan Simon <BSimon@randata.com.au> wrote:
>
> > V has both X Windows AND MS-Windows support.
>
> From what i could see, in that times (circa 1996) several people
> were having problems with V's window implementation.  I'm not saying
> that V didn't compile, but people related that in some cases V didn't
> work correctly under Windows.

I've had better luck with V under Windows than V under RedHat 5.0 for some
odd reason (some of the built-in X dialogs, for instance, file selection,
misbehave).

The biggest drawback to V is that the widgets available are currently limited
(no multi-select comboboxes, no trees, and some limitations on creating lists
on the fly, IIRC), but for simpler programs, it's an excellent framework to
work with.

> I thought that was still the case when i read V's page: they say
> that Windows support is still missing.
>
> Maybe that was just a misunderstood, but i'd like to ask your opinion
> about it.

As of V 1.15 and 1.16, it works with both Win16 and Win32, at least with MS
Visual C++ (1.52 and 5.0, respectively), and I have compiled a program I
wrote with both (and, for that matter, Linux/X11).  V is slightly persnickety
on data alignment and pointer sizes in Win32, but the distribution comes with
project files for MSVC and Makefiles for Borland C++ (I don't know which
versions).

There have been consistent and reported problems mixing V with the Cygnus
windows stuff, though.  I don't have details, since I haven't tried it
myself.

--
Mike Phillips, msphil@widomaker.com
Home Page: http://www.widomaker.com/~msphil/