Disappearing mount points with WinNT 3.51/4.0

Derek C. Lee derek@silver.clti.com
Tue Dec 23 18:15:00 GMT 1997

> This is strange.  I don't see my mount points disappear when I
> close my bash session.  I'm running WinNT Server 4.0 Service
> Pack 3.
>
> What variant of NT are you running, exactly?

I'm running NT 4.0 Service Pack 3, NT 3.51 Service Pack 5.
After reading your email, I did some more investigation.
I forgot to mention that I have been logging into the NT servers
using a telnet server and then setting the mount points. When I set
the mount points this way, I do not have permission to permanently
alter the system registry which stores the mount points. If I login
from the machine console, my mount points remain.
When bash is run, it changes the registry entries in
HKEY_CURRENT_USER->Software->Cygnus Solutions->CYGWIN.DLL setup
->b15.0->mounts

(says b15 even though I'm running b18)

If I login remotely, the registry settings for the current
user are used instead of the user being logged in.
I'm not sure how to get around this problem other than adding
mount commands in the .profile or .bashrc. A problem
arises if another user is logged in that has setup
different mount points or has removed some. The remote user
will see those mounts.

I don't suppose there is a way to setup global mounts for all users...
Can I make a similar registry setting in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE?

Thanks,
Derek

Derek C. Lee                              derek@clti.com
Chain Link Technologies, Inc.             http://www.clti.com