libX11 fix [Re: Egcs-1.0]

Mumit Khan khan@xraylith.wisc.edu
Thu Dec 18 12:10:00 GMT 1997

[I'm cc'ing this to gnu-win32 list as well. The problem is that
applications linked against the X11 dlls fail when using egcs-1.00
release.]

Hi David,

The reason that executables linked against libX11.a from Silvio's package
fail is because libX11.a built with an older version of dlltool that had a
subtle bug which shows up in the newer ld that comes with egcs.
Fortunately there is a trivial fix all the export libraries (eg.,
libX11.a) if you have the corresponding export list (eg., libX11.def). I
don't have the export list for libX11.dll, but I just used impdef from
BC5.x to make one (attached). Here's the command I used to regenerate
libX11.a that fixes the problem:

  % dlltool --def libX11.def --output-lib libX11.a --dllname libX11.dll

Now all you have to do is relink your application and things should be
back to normal.

Mumit