More on getting coolview-bash to work with emacs

Axel Riese Axel.Riese@risc.uni-linz.ac.at
Wed Dec 10 02:20:00 GMT 1997

Hi all !

I strongly support Jason's and Fergus' remarks concerning binary/text mounts:

> > Cygwin has multiple goals; while "Unix on NT" is one of them, it appears
> > to be of less importance than the others: a free development environment
> > for Win32, a way of getting more tools more rapidly into the Win32
> > world, etc. In meeting those goals, supporting the Win32 line-ending of
> > \r\n is relatively important. Folks living in the Win32 world don't want
> > to give up Win32 tools that operate on text files; because of that, they
> > need cygwin to deal properly with \r\n-style text files.

I'm one of these guys who uses cygwin mainly for writing Win32 applications.
Using UNIX \r line-endings is rather unnatural for this purpose.

> To achieve my goal, I need to use text-mode mounts.
> Thus for my purposes, if bash stops working on text-mode mounts,
> then this is a big step backwards...

Actually, Sergey's work is a big step *forwards*, but I would appreciate
support for both kinds of line-endings very much.

BW,
   Axel