Absolute file-path under bash (cygwin32)

John D. Robertson john@rrci.com
Thu Apr 17 08:42:00 GMT 1997

This is a perplexing problem because:
1) Pathname manipulating shell scripts will break if DOS conventions are
   used.
2) Most of us hate DOS conventions.
3) DOS & Windows programs will not run without DOS conventions.
4) Bash cannot know which way to translate for all cases.

The optimal solution is to provide a Windows95/NT runtime environment under
Linux, or Free BSD, etc.  SGI ships such a product on their new
workstations, but it is a software emulation, and slower than hell, even
on an R10000.  I guess WABI is such a product that is as fast as running
under Windows, but only works for Windows 3.1, which nobody cares about
anymore.

Then only reason I run Windows95 at all is that ADAMS is not available
for Linux, and is prohibitively expensive for other Unix platforms.

Sigh.

JDR

|======================================================|
| John D. Robertson, ADAMS Modeler / Software Engineer |
| Robertson & Robertson Consultants, Inc.              |
| 3637 West Georgia Rd.                                |
| Pelzer, SC  29669                                    |
| Phone: (864) 243-2436                                |
|   Fax: (864) 243-3023                                |
| Email: john@rrci.com                                 |

-