env command does not work correctly.

Scott Mintz Scott.Mintz@po.cle.ab.com
Fri Apr 4 16:05:00 GMT 1997

     env is a command typically used in csh-like shells. With bash, you can
     just say:

     ONE=one TWO=two echo_1_2

     This also does not work with cygwin32 17.1.

     The simple statement: foo=hello echo $foo
     doesn't work.

     Also I am not real familiar with unix so I don't know if this is a bug
     or not:  Only uppercase environment variables can be exported.

     +------------------------------+------------------------------------+
     | Scott A. Mintz               | voice: (216) 646-4805              |
     | Allen-Bradley Company        | fax:   (216) 646-4961              |
     | 1 Allen-Bradley Drive        | email: scott.mintz@po.cle.ab.com   |
     | Mayfield Hts., OH 44124-6118 | CIS:   71461,632                   |
     +------------------------------+------------------------------------+

Subject: env command does not work correctly.
Author:  Fabio@Colorado.EDU at Internet
Date:    4/3/97 2:02 PM

 JDR> Platform: Win95 / Intel Release: B17.1

 JDR> The "env" command does not set environmental variables as it is
 JDR> supposed to.  For example:

 JDR>    env ONE=one TWO=two echo_1_2

 JDR> where echo_1_2 is a sh script:

env is a command typically used in csh-like shells. With bash, you
can just say:

  ONE=one TWO=two echo_1_2

Under Linux, env works fine with both tcsh and bash.  I haven't tried
env with cygwin---I wasn't even aware of its inclusion---and right now
I have no access to my Win95 laptop. But it looks like a bug.

Fabio

--
Fabio Somenzi          | Phone: 303-492-3466
University of Colorado | Fax:   303-492-2758