text fields in app don't allow input when running Cygwin X

Mark Hansen meh@winfirst.com
Thu Mar 28 06:58:00 GMT 2013

On 3/27/2013 9:09 AM, Jon TURNEY wrote:
> On 25/03/2013 18:39, KM wrote:
>> I have an application that I have always compiled on Linux and then invoked
>> via X Windows with my installed Cygwin X.  Basically use a shortcut to
>> startwin.exe (full command is  C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe /usr/bin/bash.exe -l
>> -c /usr/bin/startxwin.exe ).  This always started my X server in the
>> background  (no root window, or invisible root window), and still does.
>> All I had to do is log into my server, export my DISPLAY and start the
>> app.
>> However I have recompiled my application with java 7 and now all of the
>> radio buttons, buttons, scrollbars, and checkboxes, etc.  all still work as
>> before.  The only thing that does NOT work is a text field.  I can not get
>> the focus of the mouse in there, nor can I change or enter any data in
>> those fields.
>> When I start Cygwin x from the Cygwin xterminal in a windowed env (e.g.
>> starx from command line), and export my DISPLAY on the server, the
>> application works, but is contained within the root window.  I never had to
>> do it this way before and it looks slightly different, no separate window
>> borders etc.
>> We also use Reflection for an X server - that seems to run the recompiled
>> application fine.
>> Any ideas?  Also I apologize if I'm not saying this quite right! Thanks for
>> any help.  If you need more info let me know.
> There have been some problems in the past with assumptions that Java Windowing
> toolkits makes about window manager behaviour which XWin's multiwidow mode
> breaks (e.g. [1],[2]), so this might be something similar.
> If you can provide a *small* Java application which demonstrates the problem,
> and the precise java version which you are using, I will see if I can
> reproduce and investigate the problem.
> [1] https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=36806
> [2] http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2010-07/msg00079.html

I had a problem with one Java application when running on a Linux host and displaying
to my Cygwin X server on my local PC. This started when the application first moved
to Java 1.6 and the problems I encountered were not identical to the OP's problems,
but I thought I would mention my work around anyway, in case it helps.

I just added the following command-line argument to the Java command line:


Good luck.

Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://x.cygwin.com/docs/
FAQ:                   http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/

More information about the Cygwin-xfree mailing list