emacs-x11 takes 30-40 sec to open after upgrading to cygwin-1.7

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Tue Apr 13 13:54:00 GMT 2010

On 4/12/2010 7:52 PM, Dan Tsafrir wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 00:39, Jon TURNEY<jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk>  wrote:
>>
>>> I've conducted a few repeated measurements and it looks as though
>>> setting LANG to be en_US somewhat reduces the start time of emacs-x11:
>>> instead of ~30 seconds with LANG=C.UTF-8, it take ~27 seconds
>>> LANG=en_US. While this is ~10% less, waiting 27 seconds for emacs to
>>> open still seems unreasonable.
>>>
>>> Any other ideas?
>>
>> Hmm....
>>
>> You don't have any emacs fonts being set via ~/.Xdefaults or ~/.Xresources?
>
> Actually, I do. However, following the suggestion of Ken Brown
>
>     http://www.mail-archive.com/cygwin@cygwin.com/msg107126.html
>
> I've invoked emacs with -Q (and also, just to make sure, removed my
> ~/.Xdefaults). It did not change anything: emacs still takes ~30
> seconds to open.

It still might be font related.  You mentioned earlier in the thread
that you installed all available font packages.  Do you have a very
large ~/.fontconfig directory as a result?  Maybe emacs has to process
this every time it starts up.  (I'm not sure.)

What if you delete this directory and do a minimal Cygwin install
without so many fonts?  I think the first time you start emacs it may
call fc-cache to populate ~/.fontconfig, but after that it might start
faster.

Ken