startx problem on Win-XP

Charles E. Cooper cec112@psu.edu
Mon Nov 24 16:36:00 GMT 2003

OK, my excitement has dwindled.
I tried used "textedit" remotely and the cursor is non-functional in the
remoted display.
I can't edit or scroll without the cursor.

to summarize what I'm doing:
         xhost + machinename
         ssh -X -l username machinename

when logged into machinename
         setenv DISPLAY localmachinename:0.0
         textedit filename &

am I missing something?

Chuck

At 10:26 AM 11/24/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Chuck,
>
>Charles E. Cooper wrote:
>
>>I've also been struggling to get a useable windows system.
>>I use cygwin to log into Sun systems.
>>I tried the startxwin.bat method and get a window up, but it won't let me
>>redirect remote windows back to my Windows platform.
>
>If you are doing this via telnet or ssh without the "-X" parameter, then
>you need to run "xhost remotemachine_ip_or_dns_name" to allow connections
>from that machine to your local X Server.
>
>This method is not secure and is not recommended, but here is how to do it
>if you really want to know:
>
>http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using-remote-apps.html#using-remote-apps-telnet
>
>>         I then ssh into the sun machine
>>         setenv DISPLAY machinename:0.0
>>         textedit filename
>
>That is silly.  ssh supports "tunneling" X apps, which sends them over a
>secure and optionally compressed (with the "-C" parameter) channel. Here
>is how to use it:
>
>http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using-remote-apps.html#using-remote-apps-ssh
>
>>as I can do when I use "startx"
>>I basically don't like the "twm" window manager, but haven't figure out
>>how to start something better.
>
>You really need to use startxwin.bat... it uses the "multi-window window
>manager" by default, which uses Windows as the window manager.  Here is
>how to use startxwin.bat:
>
>http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using.html#using-starting-bat
>

>Finally, run setup.exe again and make sure that you have the latest
>packages.  Let setup.exe determine what has been updated and let it
>install whatever it selects automatically.
>

>Harold

Charles E. Cooper
Swift Program
Applied Research Laboratory