Mon Feb 18 12:28:00 GMT 2002
Thanks for the reply. I made the changes you specified, but still no joy.
Digging a little deeper into the Xsetup script, I noticed the call to
This system (as it turns out) was not properly setup on a domain....domainname
was returning null. Running domainname and adding the server to the appropriate
domain resolved my problem.
I'm still uncertain why it worked properly on one of the windows systems,
I'm *finally* humming along on all.
At 01:30 PM 2/18/2002 +0100, Joop wrote:
> > First, some new info -- I accidentally left a "hung" session open overnight
> > and returned to find the CDE login window! It turns out that it *does*
> > but takes roughly 15 - 20minutes before the actual login window appears
> > on the "non-working" systems. Additionally, some apps don't appear to work
> > properly even after the login succeeds. However, if I use the same
> login on the
> > working system, all apps work as expected. The error messages lead me to
> > believe it is a font issue of some kind....which appears to be supported by
> > looking at a successful login vs. a hung one...the line it's hung up on
> > to do with fonts.
> > On Solaris 8, we are connecting through the server process dtlogin.
> > When running that in debug mode, I find that the difference between the
> > "hanging" machines
> > and the working one is:
> > -- snip --
> > (chi70:0) setLang() - Current Lang = C
> > (chi70:0) setLang() - Desired Lang = C
> > (chi70:0) setLang() - Locale has NOT changed
> > (chi70:0) LANG=C
> > (chi70:0) Source(): /usr/dt/config/Xsetup
> > This is where it "hangs"...when I connect with the working system, it is
> > identical (except for IP address)
> > but continues after the "Source()" line as follows:
> > --snip--
> > (chi54:0) ApplyFontPathMods() for chi54.chicago.jgsullivan.com:0
> > (chi54:0) Foreign display
> > (chi54:0) setLang ()
> > (chi54:0) setLang() - Current Lang = C
> > (chi54:0) setLang() - Desired Lang = C
> > (chi54:0) setLang() - Locale has NOT changed
> > (chi54:0) LANG=C
> > (chi54:0) Greeter environment:
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > --snip--
> > Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>See message msg00922 from me which says:
>I would to like to add the following:
>I had no problems connecting to Solaris8 using Reflection but using
>Xfree didn't work except on one server.
>After alot of playing around I seemed to have found the problem.
>If LOCALE is set to anything else then C then I can't connect using
>XFree. Solution: copy (onSolaris box) /usr/dt to /etc/dt and edit
>Xconfig, change LANG from undef to C.
>The commandline I use to start XDCMP from my windows box is the
> c:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\XWin.exe -query %1 -from 188.8.131.52 -fp
> tcp/%1:7100 -screen 0 800 600
> This part of a batch file which asks for input which replaces the %1.
> Using this I have managed to strip my cygwin+Xwin installation down to
> ~4Mb ;-)
More information about the Cygwin-xfree