ssh-agent in startxwin.sh?

Jehan nahor@bravobrava.com
Fri Aug 2 03:37:00 GMT 2002

Harold L Hunt II wrote:
> Jehan,
>
> I had probably asked the same question of others at some point.
> Remember, I inherited the initial versions of these scripts from
> others.  There were no comments, whatsoever, in the initial versions of
> these scripts.  As I have said before, I am a terrible computer *user*,
> so I have difficulty evaluating whether a command such as ssh-agent
> should stay or be taken out.
>
> Can you do a search of the mailing list archives for ssh-agent and let
> me know what the conclusion was, if any, about removing it or keeping it?
>
> I am guessing that you are probably right... since I know a little more
> about ssh now and I can guess that ssh-agent is only useful to users
> that know what they are using it for, and you are right that there
> should be a dependency on ssh if we are using ssh-agent.  Just let me
> know what you uncover and I will probably remove ssh-agent from
> startxwin.sh.

I couldn't find any discussion about this issue.

AFAIK, ssh-agent is only used to log on a ssh session without having to
enter a password. It has nothing to do with X. Moreover the batch file
doesn't use it and works well. And just for testing, I removed it from
my sh script and was still able to start X with wmaker and an xterm. So
I think it can safely be removed from the script.
The only drawback I can see is for people who rely on ssh-agent being
loaded with startxwin. But they will just have to modify their start
script or, better, modify their .xinitrc.

	Jehan