newbie alert: xterm emulator
Sat Jun 10 17:44:00 GMT 2000
I am running Win 98 at home. Since my wife works using win 98, I cannot
install any other operating system.
However, I would like to use some software running remotely on a unix
machine that has x based gui. Now, I thought I could get this facility by
installing cygwin (to get the bash prompt), then install xfree for cygwin,
thereby getting the x-libraries needed at my (PC) end for the x based
windows that pop up. Here is what I did:
1) opened a cygwin windows
2) telnetted to my unix account, which lets say is
3) then i tried typing "xterm" at the xxx.yyy.edu$ prompt.
it said can't open display.
4) then I typed "who" at the unix prompt to get the name of the
my machine (as seen by the unix server). it turned out to be
something like abcd.pacbell.net
5) so i did "setenv DISPLAY abcd.pacbell.net:0.0"
6) then i tried "xterm" again. didn't work.
being a complete novice at these things, I am wondering if I am even
on the right path. Could someone please guide me along...
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com
More information about the Cygwin-xfree