Manifest Density [Was: Re: cygcheck -svc segfaults on Windows 8.1 with cygwin64]

Thu Nov 21 11:06:00 GMT 2013

On Nov 20 18:53, Warren Young wrote:
> On 11/20/2013 05:53, Charles Wilson wrote:
> >So it's a play on words: Manifest Density vs. Manifest Destiny.
>
> Yes.
>
> The policy of manifest destiny is a form of pure arrogance: This is
> the way it will happen and everyone will either like it or get
> steamrolled by the inevitable.
>
> ...Much like Microsoft "encouraging" apps to use manifest files.
>
> And I agree, the Microsoft policy implemented by this API *is*
> dense. The denser an object is, the less affected it is by incoming
> matter. Density is a function of arrogance, so when reason speaks to
> arrogance, little happens.

What bugs me most is that this manifest enforcement runs completely over
the head of community-driven projects.

But even so.  If some company wants to make sure their applications run
on the new OS, it's *not* enough anymore to test.  "Yeah, our product
still works, nothing to do".  Rather, Microsoft practically forces
software companies to create new versions, which is a big deal and costs
money for nothing.  And in a case of a community project like Cygwin,
we just can't rebuild all of our packages just to follow up with new
manifests.

Fortunately there is the chance to use side-by-side manifests, but that's
really ugly, isn't it?  Twice as many entries in /bin, urgh.

Corinna