MS recommends Cygwin

Warren Young warren@etr-usa.com
Fri Mar 16 15:04:00 GMT 2012

> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 06:47:40AM -0600, Warren Young wrote:
>> On 3/15/2012 5:42 AM, Andy Koppe wrote:
>>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831568.aspx
>>>
>>> "Features Removed or Deprecated in Windows Server "8" Beta
>>> The Subsystem for UNIX-based Applications (SUA) is deprecated. If you
>>> use the SUA POSIX subsystem with this release, use Hyper-V to
>>> virtualize the server. If you use the tools provided by SUA, switch to
>>> Cygwin or Mingw."
>>
>> Ding dong, the witch is dead?
>
> But I heard that SUA does fork correctly.  Maybe it uses copy-on-right.
> Cygwin should see if it could do the same thing.

I went looking to see if the Windows 8 kernel added such a thing, but
instead I came away with the impression that MS wants Win32 to DIAF.

In other words, "You're next, Cygwin."

I think a prerequisite for that unhappy event would be a complete
iPadification of the consumer computing world, but that seems like a
very real possibility to me.  Driven not by MS, but by Apple, as usual.

What I can't see happening is the iPadification of Windows Server.  I
can see it now: Cygwin 1.9 running on Windows Server 2018 Nerd Edition.