[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: {libiconv/libiconv2/libcharset1}-1.14-2

Mon Oct 17 01:41:00 GMT 2011

> On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 02:20:31PM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
>> The GNU libiconv package provides an iconv() implementation, for use on
>> systems which don't have one, or whose implementation cannot convert
>> from/to Unicode.
>
> Hey, I thought we just had a recent release of iconv.  Do we really need
> another one so soon??????????????????????

I know you're just being facetious, but actually there truly was no
*pressing* need for a libiconv update; we really only needed the
gettext/libintl one.  However, (a) I usually release both libiconv and
gettext together, since they have a circular dependency, and (b) both
cygiconv-2.dll and cygcharset-1.dll (from libiconv) shared the same
"slow no-op relocation even when --disable-relocation" problem that
cygintl-8.dll had.  I figured why not fix both...

What I'm dreading is one of the following two scenarios: and I fear that
if #1 doesn't happen, the odds of #2 occurring approach 98%...

#1) I didn't fully fix the original "cygwin started speaking german"
problem. I *think* I did, and *my* tests operated as expected, but...

#2) Why doesn't cygwin respect my choice of language from Windows
Regional Settings?  It used to do that, just last WEEK!  You finally,
after YEARS, fixed cygwin's aberrant behavior -- and then BROKE it again
with this latest "update". You guys suck!

Yeah, well, WJM.

--
Chuck