managed mounts. hindsight sadness at their departure

Shaddy Baddah helium@shaddybaddah.name
Fri Mar 5 05:02:00 GMT 2010

Hi,

On 5/03/2010 4:33 AM, Eric Blake wrote:
> Request case sensitivity from windows, and you have that feature back.

How embarrassing. I recalled fleetingly seeing something on case
sensitivity in the 1.7 user manual, and checked back. But only the
CYGWIN variable section. Seeing that it was restricted to globbing
behaviour, I missed
http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html#pathnames-casesensitive

>> Not that I'd assert that this is reason enough to have kept the managed
>> mounts, it is just an unfortunate limitation that 1.7 now has over 1.5.
>
> No, it is not a limitation, provided you follow the instructions.
>
> $ touch a A
> $ ls ?
> A  a

Many thanks for pointing it out. I was completely unaware that Windows
was capable of case sensitive file naming. I must admit that my
entrenched views of Windows capabilities in this area make me a little
bit apprehensive of possible side-effects to turning this on. In your
experience, are there any?

Of course, I will still try it anyway.

Regards,
Shaddy