Zone alarm, you have failed me for the first time... and the last. (BLODA news)

Wed Jul 22 10:03:00 GMT 2009

On Jul 22 10:47, Dave Korn wrote:
> Warren Young wrote:
> > Dave Korn wrote:
> >>
> >>   I have no idea.
> >
> > You would know if it did, if you're in an area of the world where the
> > DST rules changed after MS declared "no more patches" for such things.
> > In most of the US, for instance, your system time would have been off by
> > an hour for several weeks during the year for the past two years.  If
> > your locale's DST rules did change recently and you didn't notice a time
> > problem, MS must have relented.  There was a huge stink over this.
>
>   Well I'm in the UK, I dunno if the rules have changed at all recently, and
> every once in a while I notice my PC has or hasn't got got a DST change right
> or wrong, but never more than twice a year.
>
>   My love of w2k is based on it being the most lightweight version of the OS
> in years, and it having also had the longest time to get debugged and stable,
> but obviously it's not suitable for a corporate environment.  It still WJFFM
> in a home environment and there's still /quite/ a lot of new software coming
> out that's compatible enough to run on it.

What I'm missing in W2K (and, FWIW, NT4) is the RDP server.  This means,
I can't use rdesktop on my Linux machine to connect to the W2K box.
Rather, I have to open the console, or I have to use VNC.  Neither the
console, nor VNC work as nice as rdesktop, for instance, for hardcore
copy/paste jobs.

I don't want to make free advertising, but it looks like W7 could become
my next favorite over XP for Cygwin bulk testing and package building.
Unfortunately they screwed up the NFS client and the fix will not be in
the W7 RTM version.  Grrr.  I hate it when marketing wins over technical
aspects.

Corinna