Hippos, Dreamhost, and mirrors

Michael Schaap cygwin.lists@mscha.org
Mon Jul 7 21:17:00 GMT 2008

On 07-Jul-2008 18:58, Robert Pendell wrote:

> Michael Schaap wrote:
> | On 07-Jul-2008 2:21, Robert Pendell wrote:
> |>
> |> Well apparently the hippos are going to be let loose at Dreamhost for
> |> some work. This will occur on July 11th so their entire network
> will be
> |> inaccessable. This includes my mirror (cygwin.elite-systems.org) so if
> |> anyone uses that mirror then don't panic as it will be back up the
> next
> |> day. Hopefully... :p
> |>
> | My guess: they're just shutting down the network for the day so that
> the
> | entire staff can go and stand in live for an iPhone 3G...
> |
> | – Michael
> |

> Yea, probably but they are pretty serious about it.  They put alot of
> band-aid style fixes for some routing issues.  Usually they are on the
> ball and get things working quickly.  This is the first time I've seen
> advanced notice about a network outage.

The downtime is supposed to last 2 hours at most, and hopefully around
30 minutes.
<http://www.dreamhoststatus.com/2008/06/18/network-outage-july-11/>
They're pretty optimistic about the length of the lines in front of the
Apple store... or maybe they're bringing the hippos for a stampede, to
shorten the queue.

 – Michael