Cygwin Book?

Warren Young warren@etr-usa.com
Mon Oct 15 11:29:00 GMT 2007

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> I have gotten periodic requests to write a cygwin group from various
> publishers but it has always seemed like a daunting task to me.

The trick is in deciding what to cover.

It seems to me that just getting Cygwin installed could be stretched to
maybe fill a chapter.  The hardest part is just finding the packages you
need in the tree, and because you can do it iteratively, it doesn't come
to much of a practical problem.  If I were writing it, I'd probably make
this Appendix A, not Chapter 1.

You could fill a book with chapters that are basically "how to use Linux
on Windows", but really, aren't 99% of Cygwin users *ix transplants
anyway?  Everyone knows how to use the tools, which is why they've
sought out Cygwin in the first place.  I guess there are a few who get
Cygwin foist upon them as a prerequisite for something else -- some
embedded systems compilers are like this, for instance -- but I'd bet
this is a tiny minority of users.

I point all this out because I think I know what would be the most
useful book, and you, cgf, are indeed one of the few people who can do
it justice: a book on how Cygwin works and why it is the way it is.  Not
just cygwin1.dll internals, but how setup.exe packages work, the way
various POSIX features are distorted by the Windows lens (symlinks,
mounts, IPC, fork, PIDs, permissions...), etc.

The Cygwin story is one of compromises, accommodations, and probably
even some outright hackery.  This is the story that those of us who wish
to understand Cygwin need to read.