cygwn uses for public document retrieval

Carlo Florendo subscribermail@gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 01:07:00 GMT 2006

Mike Marchywka wrote:
> Hi,
> ( this was originally rejected from main list, thought to be
> marginally relevant here)
> ( I searched the archives, this hasn't come up before and the question is
> at the bottom- sorry for the long intro. I posted this on cygwin because
> I run my scripts on cygwin and cygwin illustrates the relationship
> between
> graphiically oriented things like windoze and information oriented
> systems
> like linux. )

<snip>

> So, my question is, are there other people who have used cygwin for
> these purposes and what sites have you accessed or attempted to access
> in some script based way? Has anyone approached govt sites at
> any level requesting computer friendly interaction mechanisms?
> What responses have you gotten?

I have.  But each site has a different structure.  You have to make
customized perl scripts to scrape the web pages.  If the documents are
in XML, you just need an XML parser.

I don't know what got you here, but don't be surprised if you get tons
of hippos responding to your mail.  This list is not for technical
questions.  But if you want to have fun, you may want to lurk.

Thanks a lot!

Best Regards,

Carlo

--