copying and pasting in the terminal window?

mwoehlke mwoehlke@tibco.com
Mon Aug 28 15:26:00 GMT 2006

Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
>> From: mwoehlke
>>> Mm, no, in the Unixoid scheme of things it's probably one of the
>>> easier programs to configure.  The main trick is (or at
>> least used to
>>> be) getting your delete, home, end, etc keys working right,
>> and I can
>>> send you my magical .initrc to take care of that post-haste.
>> What can I say, I like menus.
>
> Well, sure, who *doesn't* like menus?
>
>> 'Settings->Configure Konsole'.
>> See how easy that was?
>
> Since I'm still waiting for the native Windows version, I'm afraid I must
> report that no, I didn't see it.

>> Console is just as easy.
>
> I'm starting to get confused now: by "Console" you mean the regular cmd.exe
> window, right?  Not the other, non-MS "Console" that Marko Bozikovic is
> talking about on the cygwin@ list?  I'll assume the former for the remainder
> of this post.

Oh, now I understand. Of course the CUI as-is is cruddy. I'm talking
about Marko's 'console.exe'. No wonder you are unenlightened. :-)

> So ok, let's take a commonly used setting like, oh, window width:
>
> Rxvt:  'Drag side or corner to the right, window gets bigger.'
> Cmd.exe: 'Drag side or corner to the right... well, you can't, so nothing
> happens.'

Console.exe: drag side or corner to the right... Windows gets bigger,
*AND* when you let go, you can see *HOW* big it is. Rxvt is missing
this. (Konsole shows you in a pop-up /while/ dragging, which is better,
but only for a second after, which is slightly worse.)

Rxvt: Hope 'echo $COLUMNS', etc works
CUI: Find out in properties
Konsole: resize the window, look at the pop-up
Console: Hmm, is that a status bar with the information?

>> rxvt needs
>> command line switches, or something. I shouldn't have to read
>> a manpage for this stuff, as a *good* terminal emulator (like
>> {C|K}onsole) will demonstrate.
>
> ?!??!???????!?!??!?!?!!!

Settings->Configure Konsole. A full GUI for changing everything.
Similarly, Edit->Settings (in Console).

> 1.  You don't need to read a man page, I did all the work for you already in
> the last post.

No you didn't. I had to read the manpage to change the colors. At any
rate, it is still less discoverable than a proper configuration
interface; I had to read the manpage *or* someone had to tell me how to
do it. With Console, I easily found Edit->Settings, from where it was
obvious how to make the changes I wanted.

> B.  If you have an aversion to command line options, may I humbly suggest
> that you stay as far away from anything even remotely Unix as possible? ;-)

Of course you may! ;-)

>> With Console, it took me
>> all of ten seconds to figure out how to change the font, and
>> I didn't have to read anything but menus.
>
> And you do this font-changing often do you?

No, but it still took me a fraction of the time to make Console look
like I wanted it to, than to get rxvt halfway there.

>> And no tabs, and no menu, and no status bar,
>
> No need!

I like tabs. I like tabs a LOT better than ten icons on my task bar. I
suppose you don't use them in Firefox either? (If you even use Firefox...)

>> [snip]
>
> ...ahhh, me thinks the mwoehlke doth protest too much!  Come over to the
> side of awesomeness, my young apprentice!

Nope. Just like Console better.

--
Matthew
We are Microsoft. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile. --Badtech