cygwin Perl 5x slower than ActiveState?

Dave Korn dave.korn@artimi.com
Tue Apr 25 10:07:00 GMT 2006

> Ah, yeah, excuse me gentlemen, I believe you're on the wrong list.

  Nope, you are.  Cygwin-whine-complain-moan-grumble is over that-a-way ---->

  However, while we're here, the answers to your questions are:

> Since we're getting all licencey today, allow me to point out something any
> one of us should have caught long ago: setup.exe as distributed on the
> Cygwin web site does not include a copy of the GPL, which, while IANAL, I
> believe is a violation of the GPL.

  LicensOR is allowed to distribute licensOR's own copyrighted software any
damn way LicensOR wishes, since GPL obligations apply to licensEE.  Guess
RedHat has decided not to sue itself gratuitously.

> ("Source
> code for setup.exe is available from http://cygwin.com/setup/." - no, it
> isn't, at least not for 2.510.2.2).

  Yes it is.

Index of /setup/current

Icon  Name                    Last modified      Size  Description[DIR] Parent
Directory                             -
[   ] setup-2.510.2.2.exe     30-Nov-2005 21:42  299K
[   ] setup-2.510.2.2.tar.bz2 08-Sep-2005 16:14  656K

  Guess what's in the tarball, Gary!  Yes, you thought it was just the
executable, only zipped up to make it three times bigger than the raw binary,
but no!  It's the source!

    cheers,
      DaveK