FW: cygwin-1.dll long-time bug

Dave Korn dave.korn@artimi.com
Wed Apr 19 13:46:00 GMT 2006

On 19 April 2006 13:59, Igor Peshansky wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Apr 2006, Dave Korn wrote:
>
>> On 19 April 2006 04:44, Eric Blake wrote:
>>
>>> According to Dave Korn on 4/18/2006 12:38 PM:

>>> They have one?  What are the job qualifications to become a member of that
>>> dept, I wonder?  I bet even a hippo could apply...
>>
>>   Yes, actually!  Most of their testing is done by dropping hippos on
>> software and seeing what happens.  Usually it breaks.
>>   Then they ship it!
>
> This reminds me of the actual testing DEC did for PDP-8 and PDP-11
> machines: they dropped a machine on the concrete floor from a height of
> precisely 2 meters while it was performing some computation.  If it
> continued working at that point and produced correct results, they shipped
> it.  Eerie, isn't it?

  That's a great technique, I can highly recommend it.  Back when I was in
school, we used to test the RM380Zs by dropping them out of first-floor
windows.

  Usually they broke the concrete when they hit, not themselves.

> Oh, and in the words of ESR: "software is largely a service industry
> operating under the persistent but unfounded delusion that it is a
> manufacturing industry".  Just seemed relevant here, somehow... :-)

  Yeh, but then again, also in the words of ESR: "I will find a way to make
you regret it.  Watch your step"

 ;)

http://geekz.co.uk/lovesraymond/archive/bruce-perens-dead

    cheers,