AllVersions: Running Cygwin X w/ Registy Entries

Dave Korn dave.korn@artimi.com
Thu Oct 27 11:19:00 GMT 2005

Tim Prince wrote:
> Chris Taylor wrote:
>
>> It's not *directly* editing the registry. As a sysadmin, I'm telling you
>> it *is* different. The (l)user should *never* be allowed to edit the
>> registry themselves. That's a recipe for disaster. In my book, this
>> includes so-called junior sysadmins/techs/whatever.
>>
> No one should be allowed to make software which puts the (l)user in the
> position
> of having to use registry tools.  But, this will not happen.  For
> example, it is practically impossible to use Windows outside a corporate
> environment without installing something from SBC which habitually
> messes up the registry.

  Huh?  Have I been asleep at the switch for the past five years?

  I've been using Windows "outside a corporate environment" for at least that
long and I've never yet had to install *anything* from the Southern Baptist
Congregation.  Whether it messed up my registry or not!

    cheers,
      DaveK