Fixing strace and cygcheck so that they work with mount -X

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Wed May 18 00:48:00 GMT 2005

On Mon, 16 May 2005, Michael Schaap wrote:

> On 13-May-2005 22:54, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> >>Hmm... tricky...
> >
> >Not if readshortcut/mkshortcut are available. ;-)
>
> PTC.  ;-)

Fair enough...

> >>Well, I'm a bit artistically challenged, so I'll leave that to someone
> >>else, but the latter part is easy - I attached a patch to do just that.
> >>
> >>Hippopotamical regards,
> >> - Michael
> >
> >Three small comments on the patch:
> >
> >+/* Hippo URL */
> >+#define HIPPO_URL "http://dessent.net/tmp/cyghippo.jpg";
> >
> >The .jpg file won't have the animation -- I'd make that a .gif, and
> >hope that either Brian completes the graphic endeavour, or, in case
> >someone else does, Brian will post the result on his web site.  However,
> >as a temp measure this would do, and you could always release a new
> >cygstart if an animated GIF is announced.
>
> Indeed, it's probably best to point to this URL for now - it works, at
> least - and point to an Official Cygwin Hippo URL once we have an
> Official Cygwin Hippo Animation.  (Which should probably be hosted on
> cygwin.com.  Or perhaps on all mirror servers, and cygstart --hippo
> would pick the nearest mirror automagically.)

Hmm... tricky...

> >+        { "hippo", '\0', POPT_ARG_NONE, NULL, 'i', \
> >                                               ^^^
> >Why '-i'?  Wouldn't '-H' (big-h) be more appropriate?
>
> It would, but it's already taken for --hide.  So -i, being the next
> available character.

I went by the output of "cygstart --help".  No -H is listed.

> (And in any case, neither -H for --hide and -i for --hippo actually
> work, it's only used internally by popt.  I think...)

Ah, that explains it.  You could add them to shortopts, and it'd work.
Also, since 'H' for '--hide' is only used internally, you can change it to
any other character with very little pain.  After all, Big-H is much more
appropriate for "hippo" -- don't you think? ;-)

> >+          "Show the Cygwin Hippo!", NULL},
> >
> >Shouldn't this be "Show me the Hippo!"? :-)
>
> Good catch!

Thanks. :-)

> Thanks for the code review.  Too bad that it's all for
> nothing^H^H^H^H^H^H^H fun, since, obviously, we're never going to
> release this.  :-)
>
>  - Michael

Aww, too bad.  I'm sure Corinna and CGF would be de-lighted to see such a
demonstration of the Cygwin spirit in one of the core packages... :-)
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT