cygrunsrv + sshd + rsync = 20 times too slow -- throttled?

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Fri Sep 3 12:13:01 GMT 2021

> On Sep  3 13:31, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> On Sep  3 19:13, Takashi Yano wrote:

>>> The patch attached seems to fix the issue.
>>
>> I'm sorry, but I don't see what your patch is supposed to do in the
>> first place.  What I see is that it now calls NtQueryInformationFile
>> even in the non-blocking case, which is not supposed to happen.
>>
>> I'm a bit puzzled what the actual bug is.
>>
>> The code changing len is only called if there's no data in the pipe.
>> In that case we only request a partial buffer so as not to block
>> the writer on select.
>>
>> If there *is* data in the pipe, it will just go straight to the
>> NtReadFile code without changing len.
>>
>> Where's the mistake?
>
> Oh, wait.  Do you mean, if we only request less than len bytes, but
> after NtReadFile there's still data in the buffer, we should try to
> deplete the buffer up to len bytes in a subsequent NtReadFile?
>
> I thought this is unnecessary, actually, because of POSIX:
>
>     The standard developers considered adding atomicity requirements  to  a
>     pipe  or FIFO, but recognized that due to the nature of pipes and FIFOs
>     there could be no guarantee of atomicity of reads of {PIPE_BUF} or  any
>     other size that would be an aid to applications portability.

I agree.  I think if read returns less than what was requested, it's up to the
caller to call read again if desired.

One tiny thing I noticed: get_obj_handle_count can return 0.  So the line

   reader_count = get_obj_handle_count (get_handle ());

should be

   reader_count = get_obj_handle_count (get_handle ()) ?: 1;

Or else get_obj_handle_count should be changed to return 1 instead of 0 if
NtQueryObject fails.

Ken