cygrunsrv + sshd + rsync = 20 times too slow -- throttled?

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Tue Aug 31 12:33:22 GMT 2021

On 8/31/2021 7:45 AM, Takashi Yano wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Aug 2021 12:18:57 +0200
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:

>>> Thanks!  I found th culprit, but we have another problem.  Even if
>>> select returns correct info,  A write, trying to write more bytes
>>> than are available in the buffer, hangs.  This shouldn't happen.
>>> Still digging...
>>
>> That's, of course, correct behaviour for pipes in blocking mode.  D'oh!
>>
>> Please try the attached patch on top of topic/pipe.
>
> Thanks for the new patch. I have confirmed that above issue
> is fixed and select() for write pipe seems to work as expected.
>

> BTW, I found one minor difference between Linux and this pipe
> implementation.
>
> The test case is attached. The test case uses non-bloking I/O.
> If this STC runs on Linux, the result is:
>
> 1024/1024
> 1740/1740
> 2958/2958
> 5028/5028
> 8547/8547
> 14529/14529
> 24699/24699
> 41988/41988
> 22227/71379
> 65536/121344
> 65536/206284
> Total: 247KB in 0.000612 second, 403517.628166KB/s
>
> On cygwin 3.2.0, the result is similar to Linux.
>
> 1024/1024
> 1740/1740
> 2957/2957
> 5026/5026
> 8544/8544
> 14524/14524
> 24690/24690
> 41972/41972
> 65536/71352
> 65536/121298
> 65536/206206
> Total: 290KB in 0.062653 second, 4628.669018KB/s
>

> However, on topic/pipe implementation, the result is
>
> 1024/1024
> 1740/1740
> 2957/2957
> 5026/5026
> 8544/8544
> 14524/14524
> 24690/24690
> -1/41972
> w-1/71352
> w-1/121298
> w-1/206206
> wTotal: 57KB in 0.000330 second, 172989.377845KB/s
>
> In non-blocking mode, writing more than pipe space will fail with
> EAGAIN in this implementation.
>
> In Linux and cygwin 3.2.0, it seems to write as much as writable.
>
> Is this difficult to be fixed?
Two other remarks:

1. I think query_hdl needs to be initialized in the fhandler_pipe constructor.

2. When the read side of the pipe is non-blocking, there can be no pending
reads, so shouldn't we be able to use WriteQuotaAvailable reliably on the write
side?  (I can't test this at the moment.)  This applies in particular to the
call to pipe_data_available at the end of peek_fifo, since all fifo readers use
non-blocking pipes.  Maybe pipe_data-available needs an extra parameter so the
caller can specify that WriteQuotaAvailable should be used.

Ken