New implementation of pseudo console support (experimental)

Johannes Schindelin Johannes.Schindelin@gmx.de
Wed Sep 2 06:13:50 GMT 2020

Hi,

On Wed, 2 Sep 2020, Takashi Yano wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Sep 2020 08:32:30 +0200 (CEST)
> Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> > why the code path behind `disable_pcon` does anything different
> > from what v3.0.7 did.
>
> Thomas answered already for this question.
>
> On Mon, 31 Aug 2020 18:12:19 +0200
> Thomas Wolff wrote:
> > The "correct" output was actually buggy behaviour, so current cygwin has
> > "fixed" it, to your disadvantage in this case.

I was under the impression that Thomas was unfamiliar with your
implementation, so I kind of waited for your authoritative answer.

Now, seeing how many users face real-world problems using console
applications they are not necessarily equipped (or even allowed) to patch,
I do see the need for a sensible default code page.

Hopefully you agree that in light of this, it does not matter whether it
was "actually buggy behavior". Nobody cares whether it was buggy or not,
when it breaks *quite* a few existing workflows.

In our case, the default code page should quite clearly be UTF-8 because
that's what `/etc/profile.d/lang.sh` configures when it passes the `-U`
flag to `locale` to determine the value of the `LANG` variable.

I would really appreciate your help to get there.

Ciao,
Johannes

P.S.: what you suggest implicitly to be the solution ("just call
`SetConsoleOutputCP()` in your console application!") seems to be fraught
with a bit of peril, see e.g.
https://entropymine.wordpress.com/2020/05/06/win32-i-o-character-encoding-supplement-1-a-cygwin-issue/