New implementation of pseudo console support (experimental)

Mon May 25 15:22:04 GMT 2020

On May 25 19:53, Takashi Yano via Cygwin-developers wrote:
> On Tue, 19 May 2020 22:40:18 +0900
> Takashi Yano via Cygwin-developers <cygwin-developers@cygwin.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, 16 May 2020 16:47:35 +0900
> > Takashi Yano via Cygwin-developers <cygwin-developers@cygwin.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Fix another bug caused when stdio is redirected to another pty.
> >
> > Revise the patch to fit the current git head.
>
> Revise the patch again to fit the current git head.

Works fine for me, but I have only a limited test scenario.

Thomas, do you have any input so far?

In terms of the remaining disadvantages:

3) The cygwin program which call console API directly does not work.

  I don't see a problem here.

4) The apps which use console API cannot be debugged with gdb.

  Do you mean Cygwin apps or native apps?  I assume native apps
  because of disadvantage 3...

  Does that mean you can't even debug by attaching (via PID)?

5) Type ahead key inputs are discarded while native console app is
   executed.

  Hmm, not muchg of a problem, I think.

7) Code page cannot be changed by chcp.com.

  I fail to see the exact drawback here.  I don't think a lot of users
  use chcp, but of course I could be wrong.  I'd also be curious why
  chcp doesn't work.

Thanks,

Corinna Vinschen
Cygwin Maintainer