New implementation of pseudo console support (experimental)

Takashi Yano takashi.yano@nifty.ne.jp
Mon Aug 31 14:53:25 GMT 2020

On Mon, 31 Aug 2020 16:22:20 +0200 (CEST)
Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> Hi Takashi,
>
> On Mon, 31 Aug 2020, Takashi Yano wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 31 Aug 2020 14:49:04 +0200 (CEST)
> > Johannes Schindelin wrote:

> > > Sorry to latch onto this thread with something slightly different, but we
> > > do see pretty serious encoding problems (both with and without
> > > `CYGWIN=disable_pcon`) in the Git for Windows and the MSYS2 projects. For
> > > example, in https://github.com/msys2/MSYS2-packages/issues/1974 the
> > > following issue was reported. If you compile a _MINGW_ program from this
> > > source code:
> > >
> > > -- snip --
> > > #include <stdio.h>
> > >
> > > int main(){
> > >   puts("Привет мир! Hello world!");
> > >   return 0;
> > > }
> > > -- snap --
> > >
> > > and then execute it, you will see this output:
> > >
> > > -- snip --
> > > Привет мир! Hello world!
> > > -- snap --
> >
> > I guess your program (binary exe) does not work as you expect
> > in command prompt as well. If you want to use UTF-8 coding in
> > output, you should add SetConsoleOutputCP(CP_UTF8) call befere
> > puts().
>
> That may be, but I would like to point out that the very same executable
> worked quite well in a MinTTY using v3.0.7...

at the expense of garbled output for apps which use native
code page of the system in the correct maner.

--
Takashi Yano <takashi.yano@nifty.ne.jp>