About the dll search algorithm of dlopen

Mon Aug 22 18:49:00 GMT 2016

Hi Michael,

On Aug 22 14:15, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
> For dlopen, it is more important to find the same dll file as would be
> found when the exe was linked against that dll file, rather than using
> the Linux-known algorithm and environment variables - and differ from
> process startup: Both really should result in the same algorithm here,
> even if that means some difference compared to Linux.

IMHO there is no good reason to have a DLL in a 3rd party subdir which
is available as system DLL.  DT_RPATH/DT_RUNPATH semantics are not
created to overload system DLLs, rather to add a safe search path.  Why
would you want to install a system DLL under the same name and thus the
same version in a non- system dir and expect the application to load
that?  Ultimately this is bound to becoming outdated, fail if the
dependencies of the system DLL change, etc.

Even *if* we add the application dir adding it to dlopen should be
configurable, not statically, invisible under the hood.