Resurrect discussion: Mixing 32 and 64 bit distro

marco atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 10:38:00 GMT 2013

> Indeed.  Building packages on behalf of a maintainer only having a 32
> bit system should not be much of a problem.  Also, the build farm for 64
> bit is a good idea, and our dept at Red Hat is inclined to provide it.
>
> But instead of a farm, it might be even sufficient to provide a simple
> mechanism for maintainers to build their package on a 64 bit machine via
> mail:
>
> Send your cygport file to cygwin-64-build-package AT redhat DOT com, and
> a dedicated 64 bit Cygwin machine will try to build your package.
> Results of the cygport output via mail reply. On success, packages will
> be uploaded to sourceware automatically.  Using this mechanism would
> just require to use cygport for packaging and everybody

two step please, building alone does not guarantee it is good
enough for upload

> Ok, so far we have three voices for keeping 32 and 64 bit separate,
> one voice for mixing them, and one being very unsure.
>
> Any more input?

I prefer the separate way. Already MS is not very good in
mixing the things, so we should avoid unstable workaround
to make 32 and 64 bit working together.

> Corinna

Marco