Performance optimization in av::fixup - use buffered IO, not mapped file

Wed Dec 12 15:40:00 GMT 2012

On 12/12/2012 9:04 AM, Eric Blake wrote:
>>> Why can't we instead use posix_fallocate() as a means of identifying a
>>> file that must not be sparse, and then just patch the compiler to use
>>> posix_fallocate() to never generate a sparse executable (but let all
>>> other sparse files continue to behave as normal)?
>>>

>> posix_fallocate is not allowed to generate sparse files, due to the
>> following restriction: "If posix_fallocate() returns successfully,
>> subsequent writes to the specified file data shall not fail due to
>> the lack of free space on the file system storage media." See
>> http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/posix_fallocate.html
>> Therefore only ftruncate and lseek potentially generate sparse files.
>> On second thought, I don't quite understand what you mean by "use
>> posix_fallocate() as a means of identifying a file that must not be
>> sparse". Can you explain, please?
> Since we know that an executable must NOT be sparse in order to make it
> more efficient with the Windows loader, then gcc should use
> posix_fallocate() to guarantee that the file is NOT sparse, even if it
> happens to issue a sequence of lseek() that would default to making it
> sparse without the fallocate.
>
> In other words, I'm proposing that we delete nothing from cygwin1.dll,
> and instead fix the problem apps (gcc, emacs unexec) that actually
> create executables, so that the files they create are non-sparse because
> we have proven that they should not be sparse for performance reasons.
> Meanwhile, all non-executable files (such as virtual machine disk
> images, which are typically much bigger than executables, and where
> being sparse really does matter) do not have to jump through extra hoops
> of using ftruncate() when plain lseek() would do to keep them sparse.
Does gcc/ld/whatever know the final file size before the first write?

You have to posix_fallocate the entire file before any write that might
create a hole, because the sparse flag poisons the loader, and persists
even if all gaps are later filled. For example, if I invoke the
following commands:

cp --sparse=always $(which emacs-nox) sparse
cp --sparse=never $(which emacs-nox) dense
for f in sparse dense; do echo $f; time ./$f -Q --batch --eval
'(kill-emacs)'; done
cp --sparse=never dense sparse
for f in sparse dense; do echo $f; time ./$f -Q --batch --eval
'(kill-emacs)'; done
du dense sparse

The relevant output is:
> sparse
> real    0m1.791s
>
> dense
> real    0m0.606s
>
> sparse
> real    0m3.158s
>
> dense
> real    0m0.081s
>
> 16728   dense
> 16768   sparse

Given that we're talking about cygwin-specific patches for emacs and
binutils anyway, would it be better to add a cygwin-specific fcntl call
that clears the file's sparse flag?

Ryan