RFC: Cygwin 64 bit?

Tue Jun 28 20:19:00 GMT 2011

On 6/28/2011 4:02 PM, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-06-28 at 13:02 -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
>> Yaakov's already annoyed at me for the inequality between "standard" ABI
>> version numbers and our cygwin ones, which are sometimes different due
>> to historical accident or error, but we are now stuck with them.
>
> True to a certain extent, but there were other ways of handling it (e.g.
> why did libncursesw have to inherit the mess of libncurses/narrow?  It
> could have been 5 or 6 instead of 10).  We could even have the chance to
> undo some of this by starting from scratch with x64 if we wanted to.

With this, I agree -- mostly: if we go with Corinna's "combined package"
approach, then cygport (or other build system tools) will need the
ability to "repatch" and maybe even reautoconf between bitness
builds...icky...

Furthermore, on x64, there will only be one ncurses library and it will
support the wide interface (in addition to the narrow one).  E.g.
(64)ncurses will be a 64bit version of (32)ncursesw.

--
Chuck