RFC: Cygwin 64 bit?

Andy Koppe andy.koppe@gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 04:49:00 GMT 2011

On 27 June 2011 14:12, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 06/26/2011 06:10 AM, JonY wrote:
>>>   - Do we define "long" as 32 bit or 64 bit type?
>>
>> I suggest 32bit, they'll be some awkwardness accessing w32api at the
>> Cygwin backend if they're 64bit.
>
> I very much want LLP64 to match Linux; the _only_ software that should
> be accessing w32api in the cygwin backend is the cygwin dll itself,

Also cygutils, XWin, rxvt, mintty, and possibly more I'm not aware of.
And users are able to mix APIs too.

But yeah, tough. They're obviously outnumbered by POSIX/Linux
software. And as Corinna pointed out, POSIX doesn't even have a
platform macro for 32-bit long combined with 64-bit pointers (at
http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/basedefs/unistd.h.html).

Hence I agree with sizeof(long)==sizeof(void *).

Andy