Large-Address awareness on 64 bit systems

Tue Jun 28 02:52:00 GMT 2011

On Sun, 2011-06-19 at 10:09 +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Jun 19 02:24, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
> > But I think I do. :-)  I have rebased and reflagged my system
> > accordingly, and so far (running GNOME 3 desktop) so good.  I'll keep
> > you posted.
>
> Great, thanks!  As I just wrote in my reply to Ryan, I even rebased the
> Cygwin DLL(*) and it runs fine for me.

I still have been getting the occasional "fork: Resource temporarily
unavailable" error with make, but I haven't seen the "unable to remap
dll" error.  I have also been getting SIGABRT from throwing exceptions
across C++ DLLs, with GDB pointing to RtlUpdateClonedSRWLock() in ntdll,
but I was seeing that sometimes before this as well.  (This is with
1.7.9; recent snapshots haven't been working for me but I haven't had
the time to track down why.)

I'd say that it's not a panacea, but a significant improvement; it
certainly hasn't hurt, and with all the DLLs in Ports, we can use all
the address space we can get.

Yaakov