Accessing native NT namespace as filesystem

Eric Blake eblake@redhat.com
Thu Sep 2 21:18:00 GMT 2010

> On Thu, Sep 02, 2010 at 11:07:51AM -0700, Daniel Colascione wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 9:30 AM, Eric Blake<eblake@redhat.com>  wrote:
>>> /proc/sys, to match /proc/registry? ?Otherwise, I like /devices more than
>>> /sys, since /sys on Linux tends to be more introspective of kernel options
>>> than exposing an alternate namespace for file systesm.
>>>

>> May I propose just using /nt ? /devices could be confused with /dev,
>> and /sys might be confused with Linux sysfs. (I can imagine a program
>> checking whether /sys exists and doing something depending on the
>> result.)
>
> /nt will have the same problem as any other name that is chosen to live
> in the root - it could easily conflict with a pre-existing directory.

On the other hand, /nt is less likely to conflict with user expectations
than /sys or /devices (since those have other meanings on other systems,
but /nt is new).

If it were up to me, right now I'm liking the name /proc/nt/.