Avoid collisions between parallel installations of Cygwin

Tue Oct 13 15:08:00 GMT 2009

On Oct 13 09:26, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 10:08:50AM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >In my reply(**) to Earnie's mail(*) back in May I already wrote that
> >implementing this at one point would be an option.  Actually, at that
> >point it occured to me how the Cygwin-subdir in BaseNamedObjects could
> >be a neat way to encapsulate different Cygwin installations.  I didn't
> >discuss this since at that point in time we had certainly other
> >problems which were higher on the annoyance scale.  A pity I didn't.
>
> If you seriously thought this was a problem (which was not abundantly

s/problem/good idea/

> clear from your reference) then yes, you haven't communicated this fact
> very well.  It might have made this a little more palatable to have
> known that changing the policy had always been on you.

It hasn't.  The idea that this might be a good thing only started to
occur to me with the 1.7 NT namespace changes and with Earnies mail back
in May.  Having a working implementation reinforce this point of view.
Before that it was just the way it is and, seriously, I didn't spare
much thought for it.

> When you
> communicated with me about this personally you actually sort of implied
> that it was a distasteful chore.
>
> I guess that was because you didn't relish the thought of this type
> of discussion.

Well...