1.7.1 release date?

Christopher Faylor cgf-use-the-mailinglist-please@cygwin.com
Thu Nov 19 15:59:00 GMT 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 04:17:36PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On Nov 19 09:04, Charles Wilson wrote:
>> Chris Sutcliffe wrote:
>> > Corinna wrote:
>> >> So, what do you all think about the shape 1.7 is in?
>> >>
>> >> It surely has still bugs, but is it stable enough that we can
>> >> contemplate a release, finally?
>> >
>> > I think we can.  I've been using it in a production environment for
>> > quite a while with no issues.
>> I agree -- at least from my personal experience. I think the major
>> concern is, do you guys (the folks most versed in the charset/lang
>> issues) think that the charset/lang stuff is good enough (even if not
>> perfect) for a release?  Two other *minor* concerns:
>> 1) Any additional functions Eric Blake thinks we should export/add
>> before 1.7.1 -- as opposed to down the road in 1.7.(N+1).  He seems to
>> find a new one every week or so.
>What's your actual concern here?  Can you rephrase a bit?

These are not show stoppers.  In fact, given that we should be in code
freeze right now, you could make the argument that they shouldn't be going
in at all since they don't represent regressions.

>> 2) The terminal handling stuff Andy Koppe mentioned: making "console"
>Do you mean Thomas Wolf by any chance?  He has that console patch
>in the loop which adds mouse event reporting.  The patch doesn't
>seem to interfere with current console handling, except for the
>change from ESC[9m to ESC[2m for dim.  The latter doesn't show up
>in termcap and terminfo so it shouldn't matter.
>Changing the Shift-F key sequences?  Is it really worth it, given
>that they follow at least *some* standard?  I don't think so.
>Everything else in this thread is either enhancement or bug fix,
>but not a visible, backward-incompatible change in behaviour.

Right.  There's no need to wait on this.  We can always release a 1.7.2
next week if we really need to.

>> I'm thinking of the recent discussion concerning ^H vs.
>> ^?.  I've still got a patch in my queue for terminfo, so I'd like to
>> roll that out before/simultaneously with cygwin-1.7.1; I'm pretty sure
>> there's a pending update for termcap, as well.
>Right, that would make sense.

We should consider termcap dead at this point.  I don't even have a
/etc/termcap on my most recent Ubuntu and gentoo systems and I obviously
haven't missed it.

Currently only tetext claims to still use termcap but I wouldn't be
surprised to find that was not true.

So, I wouldn't mind if it was either removed or subsumed by ncurses
since every linux distro that I know of which still has it seems to
generate it from infotocap.

But, regardless of this detail, I think that 1.7 is ready for prime
time.  It's arguably better than 1.5 since it actually works on Vista
and Windows 7.

We also need to do some setup stuff when this goes live.  If we decide to
do that soon then this weekend would be a really good time for me since
I'll be stuck at home with nothing else to do.


More information about the Cygwin-developers mailing list