The old $LANG-in-a-box trick (was Re: X11R7.5 and C.UTF-8)

Andy Koppe andy.koppe@gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 20:31:00 GMT 2009

2009/12/3 Corinna Vinschen:
> I created a new, simplified version of my tiny getlocale tool, which
> prints "export LANG=..." to stdout, or "setenv LANG ..." if the -c
> option has been given.  See attached source.

Another suggestion: I think the tool could be more flexibly used if it
printed the "language_TERRITORY" bit only. The charset and the
variable syntax can be added in scripts using the tool, e.g.:

test -z "${LC_ALL:-${LC_CTYPE:-$LANG}}" && export LANG=$(getlocale).UTF-8

This would remove the need for the --csh and --UTF-8 options.

Andy