1.7.1 release date?

Thomas Wolff towo@towo.net
Wed Dec 2 09:50:00 GMT 2009

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

>> ... The common proposal was
>> LANG=C.UTF-8, so just manifesting explicitly what is the internal
>> default anyway. I don't think it can be harmful and even if it may
>> not be necessary for many applications, it may be helpful for some
>> and thus avoid trouble; also it's the usual thing to do by Linuces
>> that use UTF-8 as a default.
>>
> Yeah, but they don't have it hardcoded in the installer.  As discussed,
> we should move the creation of cygwin.bat out of setup.exe soon, and then
> we can set LANG.
>
> Even then I would prefer if some package (base-files probably) would
> two files:
>
>   /etc/profile.d/lang.sh:
>   export LANG=C.UTF-8
>
>   /etc/profile.d/lang.csh:
>   setenv LANG C.UTF-8

It should be:
     LANG=${LC_ALL:-${LC_CTYPE:-${LANG:-C.UTF-8}}}
in case the user has a customized cygwin.bat with an explicit and
different initialization, otherwise settings would get inconsistent at
this point.

Or the proper setting could be derived from setlocale(), e.g. using the
`locale` command line tool if added to cygwin.

Thomas