1.7.1 release date?

Thomas Wolff towo@towo.net
Tue Dec 1 17:44:00 GMT 2009

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> Ok, so if we go release, what's missing?  I could push out the
> ultimately last Cygwin test DLL today, but that's the smallest
> part of the release.

> - What else?

Sorry to bother you again on this, but I feel there are two issues:

    * I saw in a thread just yesterday that the XWin /tmp problem on FAT
      drives isn't yet resolved. If that means XWin cannot run on FAT
      installations (I'll try myself later tonight) it's a show-stopper.
      The blame may well be on XWin (as cgf said) but that doesn't help
      because users that need XWin take it as a bundle and will not like
      this upgrade...
      (And I'm not the only one who presented valid use cases for having
      a big FAT drive, e.g. as an external drive quickly deployed
      "plug-and-play" for an older computer whose internal drives are
      too full for new installations.)
    * What about the Cygwin.bat LANG setting? The last comment on this
      was Andy voting for LANG rather than LC_CTYPE, which I can agree
      with; several Linux distributions set LANG by default.

Thomas