speclib vs. -lc trouble.

Thu Apr 9 21:06:00 GMT 2009

On Thu, Apr 09, 2009 at 05:57:14PM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
>Dave Korn wrote:
>>I'm just testing this to verify that it generates consistent ordinals
>>and that there is no change in the overall set of symbols exported from
>>the DLL.  Assuming so, OK?
>
>Hmm, not OK.  Specifying ordinals in the .def files doesn't work how I
>thought at all.  Withdrawn.

Yeah, I played around with this and various other things but the linker
behaved strangely.  I also tried using indirect references but you need
a real DLL for those to work and I tried using ordinal-only imports.
They may have worked but I couldn't convince myself that wasn't fragile.

So, I reverted the dlltool change and went back to extracting objects
from libcygwin.a.  But, I no longer try to create a nicely-formed import
library.  Instead, I rely on the fact that libcygwin.a will be loaded
eventually and will resolve import-related symbols found in the libc.a,
libpthread.a, etc.  stubs.

Does the new version work any better?

cg