trailing spaces in 1.7.0

Eric Blake ebb9@byu.net
Tue May 13 12:17:00 GMT 2008

According to Corinna Vinschen on 5/13/2008 5:53 AM:

> I can easily fix that, it's a two-liner.  However, that raises the
> question if it's the right thing to do.  Is it really necessary to
> convert trailing dots and spaces?  Is it really a problem if Win32
> applications can't access these files?  I'm a bit unsure if that's
> not too indulging...

Once you've gone the route of a trailing dot or slash, your file is
already hard to open in Win32 (how do you convince notepad, for example,
to open a file with the invalid unicode character 0xf020?).  It's true
that once 'tdir ' existed, I couldn't use Explorer to delete it, while I
could use Explorer to delete 'tdir\uf020'.  But I don't generally use
Explorer to delete files created by cygwin.  So I don't care whether the
space and dot are munged, or used unchanged, so long as cygwin can
consistently create and access such files and directories, and that they
are distinct from their counterpart without trailing dots/spaces.  If not
munging the trailing space/slash works, and is slightly faster, then feel
free to go for it.

Eric Blake             ebb9@byu.net