Filenames with Win32 special characters (or: Interix filename compatibility)

Brian Dessent brian@dessent.net
Wed Mar 12 18:53:00 GMT 2008

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> Is that really a problem?  I mean, you're creating files with characters
> which you didn't expect to work on a Windows file system at all before.
> How is allowing that a regression?  You also can't access files called

It's a regression in that currently the mangling used is ugly but
universally readable.  Say for example you are using a managed mount to
contain linux kernel source code.  Today you can still do e.g.
"win32-vim $(cygpath -w FOOBAR.c)" and be able to open/edit/close
FOOBAR.c, it will just see it with some uglified name.  The new managed
mount essentially means that the files are off limits to any app that's
not either a Cygwin app or unicode aware, which includes almost all
mingw tools for example.  (I use win32-vim as an example simply because
it's common for people to still use native text editors, as I'm
personally guilty.)

Not that I think this in any way should hinder adopting the new method,
I'm just pointing out that there could be no-so-far-out-there scenarios
that would break.

Brian