New API call for path conversion

Eric Blake ebb9@byu.net
Fri Feb 22 14:05:00 GMT 2008

According to Eric Blake on 2/22/2008 6:55 AM:
>>   ssize_t cygwin_conv_path (cygwin_conv_path_t what, const void *from,
>>                             void *to, size_t size);
>
> I like the name,

 >> This doesn't cover path list conversions so far, of course.  They could
 >> probably just use equivalent cygwin_conv_path_t values.

On second thought, when I see path, I think path list (POSIX defines
'path' as a single file name, but the GNU Coding Standards frown on that
definition as it is often confused with $PATH).  cygwin_conv_name doesn't
quite work either (POSIX defines 'name' as a component in the middle of a
path that doesn't contain a directory separator).  cygwin_conv_file
implies that the name maps to an existing file, which is not necessarily
the case.  Maybe cygwin_conf_file_name for one, and cygwin_conf_path_list
for multiple?

At any rate, a rose by any other name is still a rose - as long as the
names of the single vs. list converters are justifiable, and the semantics
are documented, I'll live with it.

Eric Blake             ebb9@byu.net