Building cygwin

Eric Blake ebb9@byu.net
Wed Apr 16 12:12:00 GMT 2008

According to smr xxxx on 4/16/2008 2:09 AM:
> I'm trying to diagnose a problem with fstat and lseek not working as
> expected with stdin on Vista Enterprise SP1.
>
> Anyway, I've grabbed the src package via setup.exe, and am trying to
> build, with no luck so far.  I've tried the instructions in the
> included README (./configure ; make ; make install)

Won't work.  You have to be in a different directory than the checkout for
the configure to work (VPATH build).  But once you attempt configuring
in-tree, you have to nuke everything that configure did before a VPATH
build can be attempted.  A fresh checkout may be in order.

> and also those in
> the FAQ (http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.programming.building-cygwin).

And the FAQ confirms that.

>  Using the FAQ instructions I get an error about non-existence of c++,

Did you download the correct tools with setup.exe?  g++ is not installed
by default on a bare-bones cygwin installation.

> Can anyone offer any instructions on how to build cygwin?  All I'm
> interested in doing right now is adding some printf's to fstat to work
> out what's going wrong.

strace already adds printf to fstat; have you tried looking at strace
output first?

Eric Blake             ebb9@byu.net